Try these Lavender Gin Strawberry Shortcakes instead of the plain one's with strawberries in store-bought cake cups and topped with a large spoonful of Cool Whip. We have a much healthier version for you that tastes better too!
- ½ cup vegan yogurt (unsweetened or plain)
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup avocado or olive oil (make oil free by using an additional ¼ cup applesauce instead)
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba* (see note in summary)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 drops Vanilla NuStevia or 25 drops Lo Han Supreme
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-quart strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons gin (Uncle Val's uses lavender and is my favorite)
- 2 teaspoons lavender balsamic vinegar (or plain balsamic plus ¼ teaspoon lavender extract)
- NuStevia Simple Syrup to taste
- whipped coconut cream
- chopped mint
- culinary lavender
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 6 mini cake pans or line a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a medium bowl and the dry in another. Add the dry to the wet and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Use a ¼ cup scoop and add one scoop per muffin cup. If you are using the Wilton Mini Tasty Fill 4 Piece Pans use 1½ scoops per pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Put all the strawberry filling ingredients in a bowl and mash some with a potato masher. You just want to extract some of the juices, but most of the berries pieces will be whole.
It takes no time to mash up the strawberry filling. It’s just chopped strawberries mashed with a little gin, balsamic vinegar and some NuNaturals Simple Syrup to taste. Depending on how sweet your strawberries are you may not need the simple syrup.
- Generously ladle the strawberry mixture over the cake. If you are using muffins you can split them first. Top with vegan whipped cream, culinary lavender or even more strawberry mixture.
A Healthy Slow Cooking Recipe
Meet Kathy Hester | Healthy Slow Cooking
At Healthy Slow Cooking you'll find recipes that can be customized for your particular way of eating. Oh, and you'll find slow cooker recipes and recipes not made in the slow cooker too! For more from Healthy Slow Cooking please visit http://healthyslowcooking.com/