Cranberry sauce is the perfect blend of tart and sweet to complement your holiday meal, but most of the time that sweetness comes in the form of sugar. Our friend Kristine, the blogger behind Busy But Healthy, created this sugar-free version that will help you cut the hidden sugar over the holidays.
- 2 - 340g or 12 oz. bags fresh cranberries (6 cups cranberries)
- 2 tsp orange zest
- Juice of 1 large navel orange (approx. 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp (or to taste) NuNaturals Organic Pure Stevia
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, add the cranberries, orange zest, orange juice and water.
- Cover with a lid, and heat over medium to medium high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Lift off the lid, and give the cranberries a stir with a wooden spoon, they should be sauce at this point.
- From here, add in the stevia, tasting as you go to get it to the sweetness level you want.
- Once you're happy with the level of sweetness, add the vanilla and stir.
- Allow to cool to room temp. Serve at room temp or if not using, put in an airtight container and keep in the fridge. Unused portions should freeze well.
Serving size: ¼ cup Calories: 29 Fat: 0.1 g Carbs: 7.6 g Sugar: 2.8 Sodium: 1 mg Fiber: 2.8 g Protein: 0.3 g
Kristine Fretwell is an e-book author, "25 Quick, Easy, Low Sugar & Family Friendly Protein Bars, Cookies & Muffins", health and fitness columnist, contributor to Shape.com, SavvyMom.ca, Oxygen Magazine and Huffington Post. Kristine is also an iFood.tv partner and hosted the Busy But Healthy Show which was a series of recipes, fitness tips and Q&A videos.
Kristine has worked in the natural health industry for over 15 years and is a Certified Natural Products Advisor (registered with the Canadian Health Food Association), and a BCRPA Certified Weight Trainer.