For the holidays sweet potatoes take many forms. Unfortunately many of those forms are topped with sugar-heavy marshmallows or whipped with carb-heavy syrups. This recipe showcases the natural sweetness of the sweet potato with an endless number of healthy toppings. It's also great hot, room temperature, or cold which makes it perfect for leftovers, too.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- Optional toppings: NuNaturals Maple Syrup, Goat Cheese, Feta Cheese, Pecans, Walnuts,
- Optional spices: Cinnamon, Cayenne, Smoked Paprika, Fresh Cracked Pepper, Coarse Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scrub sweet potatoes and pierce in several places with a sharp knife. Place potatoes on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. The sweet potatoes should be soft and oozing.
- Place on a plate and allow to cool. Cover the plate with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator. This allows them to sweeten and continue to ooze. You can slice the potatoes into rounds or cut down the middle.
- Top with your desired cheeses, nuts, syrups, and spices. If you have leftovers, these are great hot, room temperature, or cold.
Recipe adapted from The New York Times.