Nothing is better than a campfire and roasting marshmallows with friends and family. These sugar-free marshmallows are sweet and perfect for making smores!
- 2 1/2 tbsp Gelicious Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 12 ounces Sweet Health Tagatose
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Pure Stevia Extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- up to 3 tsp Alcohol-Free NuStevia (or to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Nonstick spray
- Place gelatin into the bowl of stand mixer and pour 1/2 cup of water. Have whisk attachment standing by.
- In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup of water, tagatose, Vanilla NuStevia, and salt. Place over medium-high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, approx. 7 to 8 minutes. Once the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat.
- Turn the mixture on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approx. 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping prepare the pan as follows.
- Combine the Pure Stevia Extract and cornstarch in a small bowl. Lightly spray a 13 by 9-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the mixture and move around until pan is completely coated. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl for later use.
- When ready, pour the mixture into prepared pan, using a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly into the pan. Dust the top with enough of remaining pure stevia extract and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Reserve the rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares using a pizza wheel dusted with the pure stevia cornstarch mixture. Once cut, lightly dust all sides of each marshmallow with the remaining mixture, using additional if necessary. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown